Month: August 2015

con­ver­sa­tions on slow­ness

Hus­sein Cha­layan became known as a ‘con­cep­tu­al design­er’ in the 1990s and it’s been bug­ging him ever since. 

por­tray­ing the 1980’s: Halt & Catch Fire’s sets

here’s part one, here’s part two. this thing is long, detailed, and total­ly worth the read.

How Hot Chick­en Real­ly Hap­pened

Sure enough, as I start­ed inves­ti­gat­ing, I dis­cov­ered Denise was right. For almost 70 years, hot chick­en was made and sold pri­mar­i­ly in Nashville’s black neigh­bor­hoods. I start­ed to sus­pect the sto­ry of hot chick­en could tell me some­thing pow­er­ful about race rela­tions in Nashville, espe­cial­ly as the city tries to fig­ure out what it will be in the future.”

Lau­ra Balke, via Insta­gram

there’s a Mus­lim sub­group of Loli­tas and they’re the cutest

The loli­ta trend, at its most basic, involves wear­ing mod­ern­ized Vic­to­ri­an- or Roco­co-style dress­es and out­fits that are heav­i­ly acces­sorized and painstak­ing­ly coör­di­nat­ed into elab­o­rate cos­tumes. The trend’s fans (called ‘loli­tas’) then meet up at var­i­ous events to spend time togeth­er and appre­ci­ate each oth­ers’ out­fits (or, as they call them, ‘coords’).

of 25 small agencies contacted for work: 40% didn't respond at all, and of the remaining 60%, the range in price was $850—15,000.Cameron Alcorn

nobody likes call­ing a design­er

Cameron Alcorn posed as a one-per­son busi­ness, request­ed a four-page site from 25 small agen­cies, and the result­ing flak­i­ness doesn’t sur­prise me one bit.

How ‘Born to Run’ Cap­tured the Decline of the Amer­i­can Dream

Bruce Springsteen’s break­out album embod­ied the lost ‘70s—the tense, polit­i­cal, work­ing-class rejec­tion of an increas­ing­ly unequal soci­ety.

Jack Jen­nings, via Insta­gram

behold, the shit­pic cometh

"Digital photography was becoming more popular, but we hadn’t yet started to put all of our photographs online. Since then, as files are put through a myriad of compression algorithms and Instagram filters, a new aesthetic of digital decay has started to emerge. Let’s call them Shitpics. Because they look like shit."

I have not used an Adobe product since 2012.Hans van de Bruggen

Going Adobe-free

“It was not so long ago that Adobe, the wunderkind of the desktop publishing revolution, seemed unshakeable from their position as the de-facto toolset of choice for designers across the globe. But I’ve recently made a startling realization about my own relationship with the company: I have not used an Adobe product since 2012.

original content © 2017 patric king.